Saturday 25 January 2014

CWP early morning.....and time for reflection

25 Jan - A fairly productive early morning couple of hours, water levels have dropped slightly and a breezy but dry morning with the clouds breaking. The drake and 2 redhead Smew still in the pit 29/30 area, today on pit 29 (2,3), with a pair of Goosander (1) on adjacent pit 28 and another drake on pit 44 with 54 Red-crested Pochard. Shorncote finally gave good but brief views of the Siberian Chiffchaff, showing the contrasting greyish mantle and greenish wing feathers, with 2 rather more obliging Common Chiffchaffs (12)and lots of Wrens (11) for comparison. Also here - the usual Cetti's warbler singing, a Grey Wagtail, 2 Ravens (8) flew over, 3 Water Rails, Teal (9,10), Gsdwall and Tufted Duck on the pools, and an impressive total of 15 Little Egrets (6,7) on the floods. 180+ Lapwing flew over, and a nice mixed flock of Fieldfares, Redwings and Yellowhammers were around the farm. Photos JM. Time to think while walking about the love of nature passed on to me by two very influential people in my life, my mother, and also my grandmother, who sadly passed away very peacefully 2 days ago at the great age of 100. She was a wonderful support to me through my formative years, and was above all a very kind person who saw the best in everyone and had a positive outlook. I will miss her, but I will carry her and others in my heart.

No comments: