Friday 17 January 2014

Savernake Bramblings

17 Jan - An afternoon visit to Savernake where the weather was more showery than forecast - but after an hour or so of searching, a mixed flock of finches flew in over my head as I was about to leave, and 20+ Bramblings were mixed in with the 40+ Chaffinches. Bramblings are another of my favourite winter visitors, and I've yet to get a really good photo of one. Today they could be identified within the flock by their distictive nasal call, and when perched the white belly is surprisingly conspicuous, as well as the orange shoulders, yellow bill and white rump in flight - also of course, the dark head of the male. I'm fairly happy with the record shots considering the birds were in the canopy of some fairly large beech trees. Also seen - Red Kite, Buzzard, GS Woodpecker, Marsh Tit, at least 10 Coal Tits, Nuthatch and Bullfinch. Photos JM.

No comments: