Saturday 31 January 2015

Barrington and Hawling - a full house - winter at its best.......

Jan 31 - an excellent afternoon of winter birding, despite the strong northerly wind. When I arrived at Barrington, I was pleasantly surprised to see the ringtail Hen Harrier hunting over the stubble - and then the Great Grey Shrike popped up in the hedge in front of it! And posed just long enough for a record shot. Red Kites were also soaring elegantly over the stubble.
Hawling was similarly windswept, and the one Short-eared Owl that braved the elements was very close to the road, in the lee from the wind, probably my best ever views - and allowed a few photos before tucking itself into the grass where I watched it relax and go to sleep. Finally, as I was leaving, the Barn Owl emerged and started hunting the hedgeline near the farm. Year list up by 2 to 125.

No comments: