Wednesday 11 January 2017

Birding Swindon...... Waxwings!

10/11 Jan - On the afternoon of 10th, I was returning to the surgery from a visit when I decided to detour through the railway village to check the berry trees - and I did a double take when amongst the Blackbirds feeding in the trees was an upright bird with a distinctive crest - a Waxwing! in fact two.....I stopped to look (without optics) before putting the news out. Early morning 11th saw me back in the side streets checking the trees, and then the Waxwings appeared and preened in the treetops, now numbering six birds, looking striking in the sun and calling with their distinctive trill. I returned briefly at lunchtime and saw the birds feeding for a short while in the rowan trees, but they are rather flighty. Self-found, and a local twitch!

No comments: