Saturday 15 October 2011

Isabelline Wheatear.....










15 October - I filled a real gap on my UK list today, when I saw an Isabelline Wheatear late afternoon at Crowlink near Lewes on the Sussex Downs. Slightly larger and stouter/longer billed than an accompanying Northern Wheatear, with a more upright stance, noticably fairly uniform pale sandy brown colouration, brown primaries, black alula, brown (not black) covert centres, white supercilium in front of the eye, and extensive black on the tail (photo 7). A bird I've missed, or not had the opportunity to see in the UK, for years! Photos are 1-7 from Sussex bird blogs, photos 8-9 my very poor record shots (JM) - note how the bird appeared darker and more contrasting as the light decreased towards dusk. Watched from 5.20pm til dark.

No comments: