Sunday 20 November 2011

Great Grey Shrike at Shorncote !


20 November - An excellent hour or so at Shorncote pre-dusk, the highlight being a smart Great Grey Shrike that popped up on the bushes past the hide - seen twice briefly at 3.40 and 4.10 pm - too brief and dull for any sort of photo unfortunately. I will look for it again, as I suspect I may have seen it on 17th Nov when I didn't have any optics with me.
Also seen - a flock of 70+ Golden Plovers flew SW along with 150+ Lapwings - 2 Cetti's Warblers called (one either side of the path) and 2 Water Rails also heard - a Little Egret flew to roost, 20+ Teal, a pair of Wigeon, 70+ Fieldfares, 2 Grey Wagtails, 3 Reed Buntings, Goldfinches and Linnets also seen. No Owls this evening.
At pit 44, a good count of 76 Red-crested Pochard, also a male Goosander.

No comments: