Friday 31 March 2017

Cleeve and WWT

31 Mar - A cloudy start then sun again. Cleeve Hill didn't produce the Ring Ouzels seen the day before, but a bonus was 4 Short-eared Owls, presumably on passage, that I nearly trod on - good views, but no decent photos as I couldn't locate them again on the ground. Yellowhammers, Linnets and Meadow Pipits all seen. I'll try again later in the month as it's a reliable spring stopover site for the Ouzels. I decided to call at Slimbridge on the way home and I'm glad I did, as not only was the Spoonbill still there, and giving very good views from Robbie Garnett hide, but I also found an immature Little Gull feeding over the South Lake, very elegant with its tern-like flight and small size. It's amazing to think that I hardly gave the 40 or so Avocets on the South Lake a second glance, whereas 5 years ago Avocet was a scarce passage migrant in Glos.

No comments: