Wednesday 13 September 2017

Slimbridge waders .............. self-found Grey Phalarope !

12 Sept - The morning after Storm Aileen I was undecided where to go - I thought a look at Slimbridge (which I always find therapeutic) was in order. The Curlew Sandpiper was on South Lake as expected, my first of the year, and I checked the Rushy, Green Sandpipers and Ruff with Black-tailed Godwits as usual. I was going to return via Farmoor, but decided to check Robbie Garnett hide - and when I looked out there was a Grey Phalarope spinning away in full view! I did a double take, and then put the news out on Twitter, and WWT staff started to arrive within a few minuted to view this very scarce visitor. There was in fact a good scattering of these birds across the country, doubtless due to the storm that blew through and displaced them from the Atlantic. Always good to see (or find!) and attractive fearless high Arctic breeders. SO my trip to Oxfordshire wasn't necessary after all...... always better to find your own!

No comments: