Wednesday 30 October 2019

Blakehill Purple Patch

30 Oct - I've done quite well at Blakehill this month, with three quality sightings. Firstly, on the 16th, a morning visit was enlivened by the most unexpected sight of a Kingfisher flying low across the field and track, heading towards the plateau - presumably a juvenile bird looking for territory? Apparently only the second Blakehill record. Then on 24th, I visited in late afternoon on a speculative look for Short-eared Owls, hoping that at least one bird may return for the winter? Nome seen, but just before sunset a male Merlin flew in and perched for about 10 minutes, before darting off to chase a Meadow Pipit and then flying west - I couldn't see if it landed again.
Best of all, on 30th I visited again for a morning walk, and was heading down the main track when I saw a group of corvids harrying a large raptor that was approaching from the SE across the plateau. The languid flight and buoyant profile led me to assume "Red Kite" until I saw the more compact shape, the upturned wings and lack of a forked tail - I then picked up the white rump in flight, although looking into the light - female/ringtail Hen Harrier! A much-wanted bird for Blakehill, and obviously passing through as it drifted NW and kept going. Apparently, again just the second record for the site. Unbelievably, when I called at Eysey on the way home, the female Marsh Harrier that has been seen there several times recently cruised past over the flooded field, giving really good views in the sun of my second Harrier species of the day!
Add to this a passage of Stonechats at Blakehill through the month, and varying numbers of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks, and it's been a rewarding autumn migration season there. I'm still waiting for the Wryneck though .........

No comments: