Sunday 26 January 2020

Scotland 24-26 Jan 2020

A short visit to coincide with my first Munro trip of the year, which surprisingly coincided with the only snow-free weekend of the winter, so my crampons skills weren't tested...…. On arrival I headed to the First of Forth. Having quickly picked up the resident drake Surf Scoter, offshore from Musselburgh with a few Velvets, I picked up the news that the drake American White-winged Scoter had been located a mile or so west, off Joppa. I was there in time for good views, again with a small flock of Velvets so direct comparison of head and bill shape could be made. Much better views than I had the previous time I saw it. Long-tailed Duck, Eider and distant Common Scoter were also seen, along with Red-breasted Merganser, with a good selection of waders off Musselburgh including Bar-tailed Godwits. Glenfinnan the next days was very quiet bird-wise, only Raven being noted, but spectacular in the winter mist and stillness. Then on 26th a successful Waxwing chase, with at least 48 birds feeding in the unlikely surroundings of Falkirk, in isolated Rowans near a shopping centre - as typical location! Dull weather, but I spent a couple of hours enjoying the sight and sound of these spectacular birds as they swooped in to feed on berries every few minutes, and retreated to preen in between. I was the only person watching them, whereas in the south of England I would have been jostling for space ....

No comments: